Saturday, May 17, 2014

Meeting Friendly Faces in Moab


Yesterday I decided to venture into town. I was going to walk by myself. I passed by Freebird's cave and ended up chatting with him for a long while instead. He was leaving soon to meet up with his friend, Rolando, who was to arrive in Moab for a visit. So Freebird and I ended up walking together.


We passed through Rotary Park and ran into Bing, one of the people scouting for the Rainbow Gathering. She expressed interest in meeting up with us later at the park for dinner, and then staying the night in the canyon with us.

I split ways with Freebird and went to the library, but they were closed due to maintenance. As I turned around to leave, our paths crossed again. So we walked together over to the Moab Visitors Center to await Rolando's arrival.

From there, the three of us went to City Market. Freebird went in to purchase dinner, while Rolando and I waited outside and conversed. Then we returned to Rotary Park to meet up with Bing.

Dinner at the park with Rolando, Freebird, and Bing.





Cottonwood seeds in the air.












After dinner and hitting up the freenotes, we headed up-canyon.







That night, we had s'mores a la coconut around the campfire. It's amazing what marshmallows will do to you, as we learned that other time with Daniel. This time we laughed so hard about everything and sang tons of Beatles songs.

Bing roomed with me in Raven's Roost that night. The next morning we woke up at 5:30, so that she could return to the Rainbow group. I haven't woken up to an alarm since the day Carly drove me to the airport in Chicago. It was so peaceful to watch the sun rise and listen to the birds beginning their song as we walked out of the canyon.

Bing's family was so happy when she returned safely. I met many others from the group who were scouting together. They all showed me around the place where they were staying.





An amphitheater built on the land.





























A fragrant verbena that Bing picked in the canyon.






My friends and I are most likely going to the Rainbow Gathering in July, so we'll probably get to see all of these people again. They left town this morning to continue their journey until then.

I'm so thankful for meeting Rolando and Bing yesterday, and I'm always glad to include more people in the moneyless tribe, whether or not they choose to live with money. In the end it's not so much about money, but rather, it's entirely about love. Rolando and Bing really exemplify love in their own unique ways, and it's been a blessing to meet them.

Later on today, Daniel, Brandon, and I hitched to Fruita (my first hitch!) to be with Daniel's parents and to celebrate their 65th anniversary. I'll detail the trip more in the next post.



1 comment:

  1. So great to hear about the group and Bing <3 it's so beautiful out there.

    ReplyDelete